My Experience with QGIS

Hello there!

My name is Ethan Zhao (exyzhao) and I am a participant of the Google Code-In 2017, in which I work
with OSGeo (Open Source Geospatial Foundation). The basis of OSGeo is FOSS, or free and open
source software, allowing users to access cutting-edge geospatial technology around the world
regardless of financial situation.

For these weeks I did a large majority of my work in QGIS (Quantum GIS), discovering layers and
exploring the world of open source mapping. QGIS enables users to “create, edit, visualize,
analyze and publish geospatial” data (Definition taken off qgis.org). What surprised me was that the
tasks involving QGIS could be solved quite efficiently by the plethora of plugins and amazing
functionality.

The installation of QGIS was very straightforward. Having used QGIS through both Windows and
Ubuntu by Virtualbox, I had no trouble accessing QGIS. On both platforms, a beginner like me was
easily able to dive in with Natural Earth, thanks to the great user interface.

Initially, I made a thematic map with QGIS, but as it was my first time, I spent hours exploring the tools
and the collection of layers available online. With Open Layers and drought data from NASA’s Earth
Data, I created this map below.

Image: Thematic Map with NASA EarthData

Although QGIS was very easy to use, I do have one suggestion. With many dataset types available
online, it was difficult to determine the type of layer to add in order to comply with the file type. Maybe
it’s just because I’m a beginner, but all of the buttons to add layers i.e. Add Raster, Vector, SpatialLite,
Oracle Spatial, WCS, etc. and the different files were daunting. A more experienced user could
probably use these very efficiently and effectively, but that’s just my take as a new user.

Shortly after, I started a seven-part video series based on the QGIS Quickstart documentation in
OSGeoLive linked here:

Image: Buildings, Motorways, and Amenities displayed with OpenStreetMap (Note: The data taken for
this map is preinstalled with OSGeoLive)

Each video had progressively more content as the basics were covered, then progressing to PostGIS,
GRASS, the Processing Toolbox, and OpenStreetMap. This is where I found the plugins particularly
helpful, as the way data was conveyed differed from each plugin to the next, with changes accordingly
made in map presentation. I only explored a few of the options available since QGIS has an ocean of
choices with many different results.

Image: Map Composer

The map composer was what intrigued me the most, as it provided a simple, streamlined way to add a
scale, compass, and legend, essentially tying up the presentation with a little bow. With the map
composer, users can finalize a map and make it presentation-ready, to display it as an exhibit. The
final product gave me childhood nostalgia of times when I would finish drawing maps of the
neighborhood and conclude it with all of the extra parts, even making sure my legend was 100%
presentable! My introduction to cartography by QGIS was a very pleasant experience with credit to the
map maker serving as a familiar face of display.

Image: Population Clusters with PostGIS Data (Note: The data taken for this map is preinstalled with
OSGeoLive)

Through it all, the map types varied greatly from bubble maps to topographic maps. What I found
extremely helpful was that the data, no matter how varying from one type to the next (like with
population clusters, geology, or amenities), could all be expressed differently yet keep its clarity and
impact. This attests to the amazing functionality resulting from the layer types that cover a wide
spectrum of information presented.

Overall, my time with QGIS as an absolute beginner was extremely delightful; I can only begin to
comprehend with the raw power of QGIS what can be accomplished. The multitude of options
presented at each step, be it layers, plugins, and databases, provides all the more power to the user.
However, this may overwhelm a new learner, so time and practice are the best teachers. From my
experiences, the variety provided is comparable to the Mariana Trench, into which I have only dipped
my toes.

The freedom to use QGIS and dedicated community made the journey facile. The QGIS-users mailing
list always bounces thoughts and questions to assist other users. Help is just one email away! The
open source aspect of QGIS ascertains the dedication of the developers and content creators, driving
collaboration across borders. With a high magnitude of sharing, improving, and constant feedback,
QGIS has been able to reach where it is today. Connecting communities is easy with QGIS, as its
development and free use by users keep it in a perpetual state of viability. With the freedom to edit and
use QGIS, you can even modify it with access to source code!

Thus, I highly recommend anyone with even the slightest interests in cartography, geography, statistics,
earth science, etc. to try QGIS. At no cost, the functionality is simply too astounding to pass up. Maps
teach about the ‘where of why,’ applying to many many more disciplines than solely geography. No
matter what your age or level of education, you can learn something about the relationship that
humans and the natural world have with QGIS’ maps.

Comments